Saturday, February 18, 2017

Weekend Songs Review - Benjamin Greenfield

Fela Kuti - Zombie

I listened to this song multiple times, to try and pick up on the all the different instruments being played and I find Zombie become surprisingly catchier every time I heard it. The guitar and drums kick off the song and establish the beat, then soon the jazz aspects of the song pickup with the sax and trumpets and this really brings the song to life. I appreciated the lyrical aspect of the song, as the song was written to send a message but still is wildly enjoyable regardless of its political quality. I didn't catch it until the second time but I appreciated the cowbell. (whenever I hear cowbell I cant help but see Christopher Walken from SNL) This is definitley one of the most enjoyable afrobeat style songs I've heard.

Bjork - Pagan Poetry

I am convinced something about the cold air in the nordic countries is responsible for all these talented artists and innovative ideas coming out of the region. Il try not to talk too much about the visual aspect of the music video, but I found the suggestive and abstract imagery in the video perfectly suited for the audio and I loved it. Pagan Poetry displays a perfect combination of synth sounds with raw, powerful vocals. 17 Seconds in when that bass kicked in and she started singing I was like, goddamn. I decided to listen with headphones at that point because I felt that the way the song was engineered the way the vocals are presented it is like she is all around you. The way her voice resonates it felt surrounding me. The most mesmerizing section of the song was at 2:45 when everything fades out except for her vocals. She boils everything down to the rawness of her voice putting emphasis on what she is saying. I am going to listen to more of what Bjork has available, very good.

Radiohead - Idioteque

I have never found Radiohead to be that great personally. Objectively speaking, I think it is interesting in the song how it almost sounds like organized chaos, its fast moving, rampant, and the vocals are both emotional and erratic. Not in a bad way.

Led Zeppelin - Whole Lotta Love

Oh boy was I excited to get to listen to Zeppelin for school, basically I listen to them weekly, they are gods. There is something infectious about Robert Plants moans and screams. Whole Lotta Love has so many great things about it. The song transitions from moments of being in your face shredding, to restrained tender vocals. Zeppelin songs have always seemed to be telling a story for me, and this song is no exception. Jimmy Page is guitar skills are so good, one of the best guitarists. My favorite moment without a doubt is when Jimmy starts playing the theremin, who knew anyone could be such a master at playing the theremin like that. Praying Led Zeppelin will get back together so I can see them with my dad, he has seen them like 10 times, I've seen them 0.

Captain Beefheart - Moonlight on Vermont

My first thought listening to Moonlight on Vermont right after Zeppelin is that if Elvis Presley and Led Zeppelin had a baby, Captain Beefheart would be that baby. It has more elements from rock and roll but also has some elements of classic and hard rock. I definitley enjoyed it.







No comments: