Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Listening Assignment (2/8)

Reviewed by: Emily Cesarini

Miles Davis “So What”
  • I like the introduction of the song as the sounds seem to be actually saying the words “So What” as is the title of the piece. Although there was some repetition I did not find it to become annoying and frustrating as I have reviewing previous pieces for this class. The jazz was pleasant and the performers were very good at balancing their instruments throughout the piece so that one did not overpower the other. Overall, I liked this piece and would listen to it again as I find it to be relaxing and cheerful.

Parliament “Mothership Connection”
  • The introduction of this piece is very upbeat and makes you want to tap your foot along to its rhythm.The overlay of instruments in this piece comes together nicely and although it is slightly repetitive it had enough variation that kept it fresh and enjoyable. It also has some funny lyrics and was an overall fun piece to listen to.

Charles Mingus ”The Chill Of Death”
  • This piece starts off feeling very suspenseful even before the narrative begins. It sounds like the introduction to an old movie plot that I would be interested in watching.   It also talks about something that many people have thought about in there life, that being whether or not they were on the right path. If the road they had chosen was the right one to lead them to a happy afterlife in heaven or a torturous life in hell. This piece was very cool and I found myself invested in listening to it.

James Brown “The Payback”
  • This was a pretty upbeat rhythmic piece that relied more on the lyrics then the instrumentals. This is because the instrumentals almost faded into the back as they were repeated throughout the piece. The message of this song has almost a comical undertone to it as the singer says that he wants payback even stating at one point that he doesn't know karate but he knows crazy.

John Coltrane “My Favorite Things”
  • Hearing this song brought me back to Elementary school where my class had learned and performed this song. I generally feel like this is a catchy upbeat song and I enjoyed hearing it after so long.

No comments: