Sunday, February 19, 2017

Best listening assignment

Fela Kuti : Zombie – There is a lot going on in this song without being overwhelming. I heard elements of jazz, pop, African and even Caribbean influence. It was very energetic and fun to listen to. The longer you listen to it the more you notice and the better the experience becomes. It is difficult to grasp everything all at once and different things jump out at different times. The vocals mid-way through brought a different vibe. Still very high energy but it was easier to listen to and the tempo slowed down a little bit.

Bjork : Pagan Poetry- This was dope. Modern and unique. The way she pronounces her words was interesting and fitting for the music. I could feel the confliction in her music. The music is very pretty, the beat is dope and there’s this almost troubling vibe with the different harmonies. This is brilliant because her lyrics tell a story about her conflicting emotions towards someone she loves. To me I hear she knows she is in love but for some reason doesn’t want to be or is scared of it.

Radiohead: Idioteque- Another dope song. I had to listen to this twice. Once because I liked the beat and music and I was enjoying it and another to actually pay attention to the lyrics. I didn’t care much for the lyrics but thinking of the vocals as an instrument it made the song all the more better. I cant really say I had any emotional reaction to this song but its something ill probably listen to again.

Led Zeppelin : Whole Lotta Love- The beginning of this song made me feel like I needed to buy a motorcycle. I could listen to this while I am chilling or on the road. It was emotionally uplifting. The middle had this very long build up that I think lasted too long. When I heard the guitars again I had this moment of like “finally”.


Captain Beefheart : Moonlight on Vermont- This song took  me a minute to digest. The high pitched guitar really stoodout and it was a little annoying and the drums sounded off. There wasn’t too many instruments plying at once but at first everything sounded layered and overwhelming but individually the elements sounded good. After a while the instruments started to come together and it sounded better. I didn’t have any emotional response but if I had to say this song made me feel mellow.

No comments: