Sunday, February 5, 2017

Listening Homework, Extra Credit, Cecilia and Synthesizers

Listening Weekend
Terry Riley “In C” – I think that this musical piece was beautiful but also very humorous. What I found funny was that as a symphony (if that is in fact what the piece was intended to be) to have someone play one note over and over again repeatedly for the entire piece is hilarious and absurd. Despite all this I believe the music flowed very well together and that without the repetitive note a lot of parts of the musical piece would have fallen apart, and so in a way, that one note served as the backbone to the piece.
John Chuning “Stria” – This piece sounded like something straight out of a space horror film or scary Sci-Fi type of movie. I could imagine the use of this song in an old like “Predator” movie you know “Alien Vs Predator”. I could also see them use this in the Netflix original “Stranger Things”, there is just a lot of omniscience to the melody which adds a horror like undertone for the listener to hear.
Steve Reich “Come Out” – (warning not exactly a “pg” review) I know this is supposed to be an obscure and beautiful piece and I get that, that’s cool, but I think that if this piece wasn’t made in 1966 and was instead made in like 1988 or 99 or even today in 2017, it would not have been so popular or impressive at all. Based off my impression from listening to this track without knowing the context of when it was made, or that it was supposed to be “obscure and artistic” I made fun of it, because I thought that the piece sucked Monkey D***. I would not have wanted to listen to it again, I wouldn’t save it with my art collection (not that I even have one), and I would only want to yell at the creator because I found it so fucking annoying and repetitive that I thought it took no artistic skill whatsoever, it felt like any average Joe M.F could do the same thing today (the equivalence of smudging poop on a piece of paper) and calling it Art. I did NOT like it, it was NOT impressive, or revolutionary, it fucking sucked D*CK (of course, this is totally just my opinion without knowing the context of the Art, but nonetheless my opinion). The only credit I give the piece is Reich’s ability to make the sounds pan from your left speaker to your right speaker in an interesting and creative way, that’s the only credit I give it. 
Xenakis Concret PH – I guess collecting glass bottles and going to your local super market to destroy them is Art now? I bet hobos be like, Do you even Art bro?
Cecilia 5- From using Cecilia for the short while that I had the opportunity to use it, it seems that Cecilia is used to tweak existing audio clips. With Cecilia I was able to transform a song so that it came out ambient/darker, which was just plain different from its original happy mood. With the use of the interface tools I had from loading the Granular Synthesis, such as the Pitch offset, I was able to make a seemingly happy piano melody sound dark and gloomy. The pitch range allowed me to further adjust how dark I wanted the melody to feel and how high I wanted it to hit and range from. The Pan range from what I observed made the music feel as if it was panning from 1 speaker to the other as I moved the dial left to right. The Intensity Range worked like the volume or amplitude. The duration range seemed to adjust the length of time a key was “pressed” in the melody, as I moved left that time was shorter and moving right extended it. The Density seemed to add more notes, basically it felt as if there were more instruments or a greater number of notes playing throughout the melody. The Detune range played notes out of tune as if someone pressed the wrong note which might be an effect someone would want to do. The Brightness range basically made the tuning sound brighter more high pitched tuning, giving the notes some twangy noise to it.  
Pure Data - From my short experience with the program, Pure Data seems to be a tool used to make audio by using a web of connected commands all of which appear to be coded in a language that is specific to the program. This program allows you to do interesting things like play sound files from your computer by connecting it via the actions/commands of the program.
Research of AddSynth Cecilia Synthesizer – “AddSynth is a graphical tool to easily generate sounds using an additive synthesis technique. It allows the user to explore harmonic or inharmonic sounds, and graphically edit some perceptual parameters such as pitch bend or amplitude envelope, add some partials, delete some harmonics, etc. This low level and analytical approach of the sound synthesis is an interesting way to understand the complexity of reproducing acoustic sounds. The program can save and load the created sounds into highly compressed proprietary files with no loss of quality.” - Mary Farbood and Tristan Jehan. http://web.media.mit.edu/~tristan/Projects/addsynth.html


No comments: