Thursday, February 9, 2017

Music Listening Assighnment: Miles Davis, Parliament Funkadelic, Charles Mingus, James Brown and John Coltrane

Miles Davis- So What: In the beginning of the piece it starts out with one specific instrument that was dominating over the others, as the song continues to play, one by one all of the instruments began to play together. They all go very well with each other and it’s just a very soothing song. I did a little more research as well to find out there was actually a stylistic contrast among the soloist in this piece Davis, Coltrane and Adderley. David played the trumpet, Coltrane played tenor sax and Adderley played alto sax, they each played a unique solo parts in the piece. This is something I’d listen to if I was on the train heading somewhere far and just looking out the window. I don’t listen to jazz music on a regular basis but it is a type of genre I do appreciate and will listen to if it catches my attention. Like for this piece even though there’s no one actually saying words, the instruments itself is what makes this piece great and successful.

Parliament Funkadelic- The Mothership Connection: At first I did expect someone in this piece to sing throughout the whole song, but it wasn’t like that at all. There was a chorus in the background and George Clinton who would say things here and there but not an actually singing throughout the piece. But, in this case I liked how everything was set and it actually does feel like this song could be played at a party, you can feel the groove and beats in the music, it has this rhythm that makes you want to get up and move. I personally loved the outro at around 5:12 it blended really well with everything until the end, even just listening for one minute I picture a futuristic image just some of the instruments played sounds like outer space to me. Even the name itself works with this piece because it’s as if you’re dancing your way up to outer space in a mother ship, a lot of reason why they could’ve came up with that name.

Charles Mingus- The Chill of Death: I can almost picture in the beginning of the piece being in a tom and Jerry show for some reason it has that type of cartoon theme to it. But, as soon as Mingus begins to speak it goes into this spiral vortex of darkness and as he continues to speak the music in the background get louder and eerie. It honestly feels like I’m actually witnessing what he’s saying he’s very detailed in his story and even the tone in his voice makes it so much more realistic. Halfway through this piece he stops to talk and all you hear are the instruments playing I find that to be a strange transition because it’s as if what he spoke never happened or they ignored it and began to play instruments halfway through the piece instead. It’s a bit confusing but I did like the first half compared to the second half only because the story he spoke was interesting having that combined with the music was just so intense and surreal.

James Brown- The Payback: The song has so much soul and funk it makes it hard not to start moving. Some of the lyrics he used like, “I don’t know karate but I know crazy” is a well-known saying I knew for a while, just never knew it came from here which is so crazy to think about. The whole song being about revenge and payback Is different you know the instruments playing and James Brown speaking throughout the piece. I also thought the guitar arrangement was well played and to be heard it’s just so hardcore to the soul like you can feel it. I definitely love how he screams it never changes its pitch it just matches with the beat and song, I also enjoy how the end begins to fade out and the song ends as if a fight or an argument just ended abruptly.

John Coltrane- My Favorite: It’s such an upbeat song why wouldn’t you want to listen to this and in some way it does brings the feel of our favorite things. Flowing smoothly filled with joy and tranquility is what this piece feels to me. When it began to play it immediately reminded me of elementary school when my music teacher would always play this and it was a fun time back then and even just looking back it makes me smile so it is the kind of piece to put you in a positive mood and stay up beat no matter what. I personally like this jazz piece and appreciate how it came to be.

No comments: