Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Weekend Listening

Laurie Anderson, " O Superman": At first in the beginning, all you hear is "ah" repeated over and over and it sounds more like a broken record instead of someone actually stopping and saying "ah" again, if that makes sense. This is definitely something I personally never heard of before, this type of music is out of the ordinary of what I usually expect a music piece to be. There's defiantly a lot going on and various sounds like one the person singing it's auto tuned to make it sound like a robot then the repeating "ah", even in one part of the piece you hear almost like "nature" in the background like the birds chirping/singing. 
Midori Takada, " Through the Looking Glass": I personally like the fact that this piece is only sounds of nature, at least that's the way I took it as. It's definitely a calm piece and it almost reminds me of the amazons, it gives it that type of theme if you listen close enough or if you've watched a documentary about the wildlife before. It kind of gives it off that way, but overall I'd give this piece another listen to because it is something that I could relax to or just something that could clear up your mind.
Robert Ashley, "Perfect Lives": Throughout this piece I could barely get what he was saying it was hard to hear with all these other sounds coming from the same piece as well, unless it was made to be that way then it'd definitely worked. If not then like I said before it was a little hard to piece it together and understand what he was saying. It almost sounds like he's telling a story while sounds are being played in the background. The piano, in my opinion is the key to this piece because without it, it's just weird sounds playing, while this guy and his raspy voice is speaking about whatever he's telling to the audience. I feel like after a while it gets over played with the same beat playing over and over. 
Conlon Nancarrow, "Study For Player Piano No. 37": Since I'm not used to hearing a piano played this way, it was actually really hard for me to keep my attention on this piece. It felt as though someone just pressed random keys and was testing to see if every piece on the piano worked. After doing a little more research turns out the artist was studying the capabilities of the player piano and it honestly does sound that way, so it definitely was a success. I feel like since our ears aren't adjusted to listening to music like this, it is very hard to put your attention on it. If i never did further research I'd just think it was someone playing random notes for the fun of it but turns out it's not exactly like that.

No comments: