Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Ted - Lies of Sound Design, Listening

The Beautiful Lies of Sound Design | Tasos Fratzolas | TEDxAthens 
Extra Credit:
This ted talk is really going to help me with my final project. The idea that, "Our brains are conditioned to embrace the lies" really opened up my eyes well..., ears to all the things in the movies and video we watch today. Movie makers create these illusions that their live recordings of the video and sound are being used in the actually film when in fact they are syncing sounds to a living story but from other sources outside of the actually object or thing making the sound. For instance the use of frying bacon to create the illusion of the sound of rain is genius and creates a lie if one were to find out the truth but, thats the whole point of it all to think of sounds outside of what were normally here and see. He went on to say that loudness is nothing without silence, which allows the viewer to paint their own thoughts or interpretation of the sound or emotion in the scene without having to actually hear anything because with our eyes we see and with our brain we judge.
What I found interesting:
  • normality ----> example: birds chirping unseen but understood sounds
  • mood, set pace, make us laugh, scared ----> in itself is a language 
Listening Assignments:
  • Public Enemy “Don’t Believe The Hype” -
Hip hop isn't like this anymore. This song is full of excitement, and contains some funk and hardcore rap. This music isn't the typical hip hop and has different feels and sets all kinds of emotions. One second I just want to chill and vibe out to it and next I want to get up and hop on stage with them and jump around.
  • Beastie Boys “So What Cha Want” -
Without watching the actually video it sounds like hip hop mixed with rock. The way the artists are singing correlates more to rap music where the music in the back sounds more like a rock and roll band so in a way in add more substance to their music drawing in different varieties of people.
  • Nirvana “Smells Like Teen Spirit” - 
The drops in this song Bruhh!!! I have heard this song before but never sat and actually listened to it. the instrumentation is genius. Definitely could picture working out to a song like this or playing this when trying to stay up to study for a exam. Although, that might not be best seeing that I might get really distracted lol.
  • Carpenters - “we’ve only just begun”- 
Real smooth. Something you play when you trying to change the mood. Real soft, not jagged at all. Still listening to and the long extensions on the notes in the voices and instruments really sets a tone. I am pretty sure my mother has played this around me as a child though it might has been some type of Jamaican remix lol.
  • America - “horse with no name” -
Oh yea definitely heard this before. I grew up playing Grand Theft Auto Games and I am pretty sure this had to have been on one of them maybe I'm wrong...just check yea it was San Andreas lol. Cool song to listen to while in the car on a long ride. I am sure this song was and is still used in movies we watch today.
  • Simon & Garfunkel? -“the boxer” -
1:02-1:13,2:10-2:22 and on... One of my favorite parts of it. I am really into bass and percussions and I feel like the usage in this song was placed well. There wasn't to much and though it was little it was placed very well. I believe the song was met to be soft but have the points in it that has a totally different affect on the listener, especially towards the end where it seemed to speed up and gradually get louder and introduce heavy felt bass sound effects and instrumentation.

No comments: