Wednesday, February 9, 2011

My Favorite Techno Artists

We were supposed to blog on some artists that use synthesizers in their work. I'd like to mention my two favorite techno artists: Tiesto and Moby.

Moby's style (if you discount Moby's actual singing) often involves repetition of short, unvaried vocal samples. Consider the following examples:

Moby - Why Does My Heart Feel So Bad


Moby - Flower


This style that Moby uses reminds me a lot of "Its gonna rain" - id say Moby seems to represent a coming of age with regard to the sample repetition started by "Its gonna rain".

Tiesto's style is what I consider to be more of a mainstream, commercial techno sound. Tiesto features longer and more complex vocal tracks than Moby as well as a faster paced tempo, and use of (what sounds to me to be) some sound effects based on granular synthesis.

Tiesto - I Will Be Here


Tiesto - In My Memory

No comments: