Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Cecelia Convolusion and Vocoder sounds

I am using the computers at the NAVE as my Mac is awaiting a larger hard drive that I need to install. Since the machine here does not have Stuffit downloaded, I was not able to use the awesome (looking) files on www.xs4all.nl/~fokkie/IR.htm#PCM60. I was able to find a few usable .wav files from www.cksde.com/p_6_250.htm . Below is the best of the convolution reverbs I was able to put together, using an impulse file called "Dubstep". The rest were underwhelming...

Convolve dubstep by alexahenderson

There was a bit of reading on the site I got the impulse file from and it made a little clearer what happens when you convolve a sound. Cksde.com states that a Convolution "multiplies every sample in one wave/impulse by the samples contained in another wave form".

An impulse response file is "the data by which every other sample in your waveform will be multiplied."

As Pat said in class, the best impulse files are short, full spectrum sounds, such as a snare drum.

I also put together two files for Cecelia's Vocoder module. It is a guy speaking on a radio for the input, pushed through a police siren. I added the Stochastic Generator for some wackiness...

Vocoder Stochastic by alexahenderson

No comments: