Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Lumpy Gravy

I can't say I liked "Lumpy Gravy" but I certainly didn't mind it. I thought it was interesting enough to keep my attention. I was kind of looking forward to see what would happen next. I'm not really sure if Zappa intended this to be a record from the beginning. It sounds to me more like an experimental project that got recorded and released achieving some fame afterward. The beginning of Part 1, "The Way I See it, Barry" reminded me a lot of Pulp Fiction's Misirlou. I think overall Lumpy Gravy has an interesting beat to it, a lot like the 1960s surf rock movement, but then suddenly everything falls apart and Zappa includes some random dialogues of ponies and pigs (what's up with the ponies?, really) to stitch the randomness together. A lot of what I heard is what my definition of musique concrete is, a bunch of sounds and noises with effects applied to them. I'm a little intrigued to listen to it again since according to some people "it gets better the more you listen to it".

No comments: