Wednesday, February 2, 2011

In Through the Out Door Thoughts

I read this chapter twice trying my best to understand what the author wanted to say. Similar to other posts, I thought this was a tough chapter to follow Reich's. It was a little hard to keep my attention focused on the reading with the author's writing style. I think he uses a million complex words to try to get a simple point across. Also, I found it hard to keep up with all of the examples he uses. He names so many people and works that it's easy to lose the main idea quickly. I wish I could have something really interesting to say about this one. I understand the picture Miller is trying to paint for us when he speaks about listening and understanding that most of the sounds come from things intentionally originated by people and that silence is a rare commodity. Other than the mildly entertaining examples he talks about, I found the reading to be uninteresting overall.

No comments: