Sunday, August 25, 2013

Gloom Loops

These are my first stabs into integrating very simple pd patches with some "freesounds", my own field recordings, and some basic effects( phaser, echo, amplify, fade, tempo change) in Audacity.

Ocean Chains uses clips from Freesounds. The ocean waves file was run through the Grain patch in pd and is playing under the waves, this accounts for the echoing bits. I processed the moans with the vocoder in pd as well.

Horizon Chant has a vocoder processed sound clip from the Firesign Theatre, followed by a piano fill with its grained partner playing under it. The rest are loops of beats and Aleister Crowley chanting some goobledy-gook. Under that I have two tones recorded from the mini-moog. Since I couldn't play a chord I recorded two tones and ran them together. More Freesounds.



Frog Moog Wind uses some of my field recordings of California frogs that have been put through the vocoder, again. I also used the moog for this one.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love "Ocean Chains". The whole juxtaposition of the waves lapping on the shore and the ominous tones and moans doesn't necessarily make you uneasy, but it doesn't make you comfortable either. It keeps you on edge just enough. As for "Horizon Chant", I felt it was a bit "spacey" for me. That's just personal preference, though. I thought the production and beat was really good, if simple. But I thought the transition from the intro to the core of the song was relatively seamless for how jarring it could have been.