Friday, August 23, 2013

Power of Sonics

Mirrors - Justin Timberlake

Instantly, a very open electronic fanfare captivates me and introduces the song. The grittiness of the synths are well tamed through the way the stereo space is used and this just pulls me right into the song by setting up, aurally, the environment and atmosphere that the music takes place in. The going back and forth between acoustic/electric instruments (Xylophone, Strings, Electric Guitar) and synths between verse and chorus, respectively, keeps my momentum and interest of the song fresh by recreating each soundscape at each transition. The transition into the extended outro brings a lot of consonance and makes me feel like this story is coming to a close, but then brings me into a bridge-esque scenery with chanting vocals, delicate piano playing lounge-style lines that begs for nostalgia, with support of the bass. The vocal layering used gives Justin's voice an amazing choral tint that just makes me want to join the choir. The lyrics are quite heavy, almost bringing me to tears upon seeing how the visuals played along with it in its music video. This serenade quickly makes me miss my girl just by the thoroughness and how relatable the story is. A very well-produced and written song.

No comments: