Friday, September 6, 2013

Voile d'Orphée by Pierre Henry/ Charanjit Singh's Raga Bairagi

 Out of the diverse selection Pat provided for us The Veil of Orpheus by Pierre Henry, seemed to me the most cinematic. Particularly, due to its evocative cinematic structure and decidedly spooky atmosphere, I felt drawn in from the instant this 15+ minute piece started. Voile d’Orphee IS what my two main loops merely hinted at achieving.
His combination of musicality and the his use of  recorded ambient(natural) textures and the manipulation of both are seamless takes the listener with them. At times there are excursions into John Cage like prepared piano and then a shift to early horror cinema.
The voices shifting and weaving throughout are ghostly and harsh. His use of layering and adjusting the speed of the voices is disorienting and intense.  If I spoke Italian or German I may have felt differently about this piece, but the voices, though unintelligible, spoke to me.

Charanjit Singh's Raga Bairagi was amazingly cutting edge in 1982. Using Roland synthesizers Singh re-imagines an Indian raga and unintentionally ushers in House music. This almost sounds cheesy but it's really sophisticated. This was my favorite piece of music that I hadn't heard of before out of the lot. I'm glad that he is getting more recognition now.

No comments: