Monday, January 31, 2011

Lumpy Gravy (not really a point?)

I cant bring myself to find any reason to the point of Lumpy Gravy. It seems to be a disconteccted collection of random bits of music with dialgue that mimics people being high on drugs and discussing random things. Im having trouble pinpointing the relationship between granular synthesis and this. I understand making "art" just for the sake of doing it, but usually someone has to enjoy it. I also watched/listened Poeme Elecrontique and was just as disappointed. I have no music background or skills but I do believe that it's a far cry to call this music. The use of the technology that far back is amazing but It may have been squandered in the name of art. I had to fight to listen to both the whole way through and couldnt really grasp the point.

1 comment:

Patrick Pagano said...

Matt, there is really no relation between Lumpy Gravy and Granualr synthesis, the realtionship was with electronic music and music concrete, not granular synthesis. Granular as we will cover more in depth is breaking sound down to teeny tiny particles or grains of sound and seeing what makes up sounds on an almost molecular level. I do think you are right that some people have a difficult time considering computer & tape music "music". I hope i was able to clarify for you a bit about focus though.