Saturday, January 29, 2011

Lumpy Gravy by Frank Zappa

Lumpy Gravy seemed to bounce between 3 emotional states to me. Between the dialog and the sound I found bits uplifting, humorous, and bothersome (there is a better word here but the only other one I can think of right now is horrific but thats far too strong). The music achieves the 3 emotional states by melody whereas the dialog achieves either humor or horror by the subject of the dialog. The monologue about wearing out women was funny while the discussion about being attacked by unicorns while giggling as if smoking a large blunt was a bit terrifying. With regard to the dialog I think the effect comes from the ability to relate to the state of the speaker - which is why people on drugs are often avoided and do not mix well socially with sober people.

Lumpy Gravy, however, still does not present content I would choose to listen to when I want to listen to music. The ever changing melody and content feels more like an audio track that has lost its movie than a piece of content meant to be enjoyed on its own. I suppose that actually raises an interesting question: why do we enjoy movies with such quickly changing contexts and perspectives while we (or at least many of us) abhor the idea of music which is always changing and presenting conflicting melodies?

No comments: