Thursday, January 26, 2017

How The Pieces Made Me Feel - Stephanie Montaleza

In the first piece, Gymnopedie No. 1 by Erik Satie to me is a wonderful piece. I get this sense of peace and calmness, as if there’s no worry in the world. For example, as soon as the song played I can almost get this vision of someone floating in the middle of the sea at night, just appreciating things life, in complete peace and silence. Letting the sound of the waves soothe them. I just find this to be a soothing song to listen to and the fact that it’s all played by one instrument. There were definitely some repetition, hearing the same notes from the beginning play out in some parts in this piece but overall, I find it amazing because in the end it does make you feel some type of way whether it’s relaxed, happy or sad. The second piece, Ambient 1: Music for airports by Brian Eno almost sounds like church music. The type of instruments I picture playing are church pipe organs. Even in the beginning you can hear how it begins to repeat the same notes over and over and then it transitions into this deeper tone but continues with the same beat and rhythm. As soon as it reaches the middle of the piece it sounds like a chorus was added, and they begin to sing. Automatically I just picture a chorus in the church all singing together, almost like a solo. Then in the end of the piece it goes back to that same sound that played in the beginning but this time just played in different notes but still sounding like church music. I just honestly get this church image in my head after hearing this piece. As for the third piece, Discreet Music by Brian Eno, again sounds like the same type of instrument played in Ambient 1: Music for airports. It’s very calm and again I hear a repetition in this one, except in some parts it’ll go from being loud in the beginning then slowly getting softer and softer towards the end. Lastly, for the fourth piece, Wind on Water by Fripp and Eno I found it to be different and interesting. It goes from being soft and as the piece continues it starts getting louder and louder and almost as if the sun is beginning to rise and I just picture the flowers beginning to bloom and birds flying out, I just get this sense of morning and sunrise and this piece fits well as if the sun just came up and it’ the beginning of a new day.

No comments: