Wednesday, February 24, 2010

you shoot an arrow then you paint a bullseye round it

Another Green World - Brian Eno

One of the first things Eno discusses is singing in church. That's awesome in it's egalitarian power. I am not a singer. Actually, I think I am tone deaf. Still, I really enjoy singing - I think most people do. Catholicism as an influence was also interesting because though I am non-practicing, I also come from a Catholic family. Another idea I like is his thought on creating places where nobody has been before through music. I think the idea of "transcendence" is often hard to articulate and Eno does a great job of explaining it.

In his current incarnation, Brian Eno reminds me a lot of architect Frank Gehry. They refer to him as a "guru", and I think that is a term that is often overused. But I can see that this is an appropriate term for Eno. I also liked how much he loves pop music. He isn't above working with people who do more mainstream things.

This documentary had a wonderful collection of writers and journalists interviewing Eno. I was surprised to see the journalist Malcolm Gladwell. I am a big fan. He wrote one of my favorite books, Outliers: Stories of Success. If you haven't read it, I highly recommend it. I also I really liked hearing him talk about Music for Airports with Richard Dawkins.

I have a problem with a lot of music that accompanies most visual art shows. I feel like often having a live band overshadows say, a collection of paintings. And I think that just setting a playlist of pop songs is not always desirable, especially if you have say sensitive or controversial content. Plus, I like their to be discussion about the artwork. People have to feel like they aren't interrupting another kind of performance. I think this idea of ambient music is the solution to my problem. I would like to compose some music for a body of my artwork.

Questions:
Where does Eno live now?
His studio is amazing!
What program is Eno using to compose his music?
When he was in art school, what did he study?
Has Eno ever taught courses before?

2 comments:

esme_design said...

I'm with Francesca- can we have a studio like that? Please?

Ed Salsberry said...

When I hear Brian Eno's name, the first thing that comes to mind is "weird." I will admit that for some reason Emo Philips comes to mind when I hear Brian Eno, but if you've seen music videos of Eno when he was younger, he is a little strange looking. I was never a fan of Roxy Music.
Eno has evoloved into a master of his craft. I look at the synthesizer as an instrument to create it's own unique sounds and not to imitate others. His production abilitites to integrate natural sounds as well as sound effects with music is amazing.